unit 2 traveling
part 1 teaching design
vocabulary 四会 (n.) symbol, whale, speed, ride, magic, pie, excitement, harm,
meaning, line, experience, motorcycle, lamb, conference, programme, gift,
marriage, officer, trunk
(v.) clap, sail, check, tie,
(adj.) fantastic, harmful, harmless, helpless, useless, endless, hopeless,
meaningful, cultural, (adv.) abroad, clearly
三会 fountain, cute, performer, wave, march, three-d, shiny, delight,
delightful, dolphin, dessert, seafood, state, paragraph
二会 roller, suffix, hike, adjective, adverb
expressions a symbol of, see the beautiful view, go skiing, theme park,
in front of the whale fountain, at the entrance, move at high speed,
through the whole ride, can’t wait to go, wave to, march across the park,
clap and scream with joy, the line of people, a meaningful experience,
fifteen years of marriage, travel abroad, by the way, fly to, the culture centre
structure 1. it must be fun.
2. it’s mount fuji in japan – a symbol of japan.
3. i have been here in hong kong for two days.
4. kitty has gone to hong kong with family. they will come back next week.
5. millie left beijing two days ago.
6. millie has had a purse for a year.
7.when did you come back from hong kong ?
8. i couldn’t stop taking photos.
9. i couldn’t wait to go to fantasyland.
10. it was fun to see so many elephants.
period 1 comic strips & welcome to the unit
(where do you want to go on holiday?
popular tourist attractions)
● to introduce well-known attractions in foreign cities and popular places of interest
● to activate general knowledge about the world and identify activities people on holiday
● to start students thinking about different places in the world
step 1 having a free discussion
what do you often do during holidays? have you ever traveled to other cities and countries? where did you visit last year? work in pairs and tell each other about your traveling experiences..
step 2 presenting
i have been to england twice? —have you ever been there?
—where have you been? there are some pictures of some popular tourist attractions. now look at these pictures one by one.
—what is it? it’s the leaning tower of pisa in italy. —it is a symbol of italy.
—what can people do there? —take photos. /go hiking. /go skiing. /see the beautiful views.
step 3 doing practices
1. do you know any famous attractions in china or other parts of the world? now tell your partner something about the pyramids (egypt), the eiffel tower (france), mount tai (china), niagara falls (canada and the usa), the taj mahal (india)泰姬陵, and ayre’s rock (australia).