Festival around the world
unit 1 festival around the world
part 1 teaching design
period 1 a sample lesson plan for reading
(festivals and celebrations)
in this period, after the warming up, students will first be guided to imagine, talk and share what they know about festivals. then they will be helped to read an exposition（说明文）entitled festivals around the world. examples of “warming up” designs are presented in this book for teachers’ reference.
to help students understand the text’s forms and contents and learn about festival around the world
to help students communicate on the topic in focus with the words, expressions and structures learned in this unit
words harvest, starve, trick, gain, gather, award, admire, blossom, fool, apologize, drown, wipe, weave, weep, remind, forgive
expressions take place, in memory of, dress up, play a trick on, look forward to, day and night, as though, have fin with, turn up, keep one’s word, hold one’s breath, set off, remind … of…
patterns 1. discuss when they take place.
2. festivals and celebrations of all kinds are held everywhere.
3. the most energetic and important festivals are the ones that look forward to the end of winter and the coming of spring.
4. the country is covered with cherry trees flowers so that it looks as though it might be covered with pink snow.
5. in european countries it is the custom to decorate churches and town halls with flowers and fruit.
6. if they are not given anything, the children might play a trick.
7. because they thought these festivals would bring a year of plenty.
multimedia facilities, tape-recorder, photos, diagrams
1. warming up
warming up by discussing
good morning, class. today we are going to read about festivals and celebrations. but first, i’d like to have you work in groups and list five chinese festivals that you know. when do they take place? what do they celebrate? and what people do at that time?
warming up by watching and listening
hi, every one. look at the photos and listen to me telling you about some western festivals. (用原版)
some western festivals
valentine’s day , february 14 情人节
candy, flowers and other tokens of affection are exchanged on this day, in honor of two martyrs, both named st. valentine.
april fool’s day, april 1 愚人节
franksters feel that it is permissible to play
all sorts of tricks on this day.
mother’s day 母亲节
the second sunday in may, set aside to honor mothers.
father’s day 父亲节
the third sunday in june, set aside to honor fathers.