unit 1 festivals around the world（listening and speaking）
1. to train the students’ listening ability through the listening context.
2. to learn about the carnival in trinidad and how people celebrate it so as to enable them to learn more about different cultures while learning different language.
3. to develop the students’ speaking skills, with the help of the sample dialogue.
1. information grasping of the listening part.
2. mastery of the words and phrases concerning festivals in daily expression
step 1 lead-in
1. what’s the topic of this unit? festivals around the world.
2. what are the festivals we learnt in this unit?
show a picture of carnival.
can you have a guess? what are they doing in the pictures?
ss: they are having carnivals.
t: have you ever seen a real carnival?
t: let’s enjoy a real carnival in the video.
(after the video)
t: what would people do in a carnival?
ss: they would dance.
they would go on a parade.
step 2 listening
do you know there is a big and famous carnival in trinidad every february? li mei and wu ping are visiting trinidad and they are getting ready to go to the carnival parade. listen to the tape and find out what the plans for the parade are. then answer the question.
1. what is wrong with li mei’s clothing and shoes?
li mei’s clothing is too thick and her shoes are not comfortable enough to walk in for a long time.
2. what advice does carla give li mei?
carla suggests that li mei change her shoes to something more comfortable, wear some lighter and cooler clothing and also take a hat.
3. why is it important for them to have water?
it is important for them to have water because it is very hot and they will be doing a lot of walking.
4. why is it difficult for them to hear each other?
it is difficult for them to hear each other because the music is very loud.
5. why do they plan to meet at the parking lot at 8 o’ clock?
they plan to meet at the parking lot at 8 o’clock because they might get separated in the crowd.
listen again and choose the best answer.
1. what does carla advise li mei to wear?
a. comfortable shoes and a hat,
b. light and cool clothes.
c. both a and b.
2.what do they find when they arrive at the park?
a. they meet the boys, big bands, dancers and musicians on trucks