unit 2 healthy eating
period 6 using language: speaking and writing
this is the sixth teaching period of this unit. the teacher can first check the homework, let students review what they learned in the last lesson and then lead in the new lesson.
in this period, the teaching activities will focus on speaking and writing. these activities offer students the opportunity to discuss what food they must eat to have a balanced diet and how much they should eat each day, to imagine they are planning to open a restaurant which will provide the best local dishes and a balanced diet and then to write a short passage to advertise their restaurant and its service. the practice of speaking and writing is important for students to use the vocabulary and structures they have learned. this is also a best way to test if students have mastered what they have learned. encourage them in groups to discuss how to run the business, give each other suggestions and advice and finally write a good advertisement for their restaurant.
speaking and writing are higher stages of language learning. the teacher should frequently give students some assignments of speaking and writing. only in this way can students use what they have learned more freely.
1. develop students’ speaking and writing abilities.
2. let students learn how to make suggestions and how to give advice.
3. get students to learn to write an advertisement.
1. let students discuss how to run their business and write an advertisement.
2. how to develop students’ writing ability.
1. get students to learn more about a balanced diet and healthy eating.
2. let students know how to give suggestions and advice.
3. have students know how to write an advertisement.
1. train students’ speaking ability by discussing healthy food and healthy eating and learning how to give suggestions and advice.
2. develop students’ writing ability by learning to write an advertisement.
1. enrich students’ knowledge of dieting culture and let them form the habit of balanced diet.
2. train students’ ability to cooperate with others.
→step 1 revision
1. check the homework exercises.
2. ask some students to tell the story come and eat here.
3. let them give their own points of view on building a mcdonald’s restaurant in their hometown.
→step 2 warming up
1. ask students in groups to discuss the following questions:
1)what food must you eat to have a balanced diet?
2)how much should you eat each day?