Unit 2 Healthy eating(Period 6 Using language: Speaking and writing)
a: i don’t think we should. what about the jobs they will bring and the people who will come from other towns to eat at our mcdonald’s. certainly they will be good for business.
b: i don’t think so. people can just as easily go to other towns. it’s true they come to buy food at mcdonald’s but they don’t always buy other things in the town. they are usually people who are traveling through our town to another place.
a: all right. but people need jobs in this town. we have a lot of people who are hunting for jobs.
b: certainly we do. but i know we can build another business that can produce many jobs. so let’s vote! put up your hand if you think we should build a mcdonald’s in our town! thank you. now put up your hand if you don’t want a mcdonald’s here. thank you. well i think that decides the matter, don’t you?
a: yes, i think so.
→step 6 writing task
1. ask students to turn to page 53 to read the directions and make sure they know what to do.
2. students write an article describing what they think should be built on the land instead of a mcdonald’s restaurant, introduce it fully in words and draw a plan. remind them to be sure of the order of their article:
1)describe the new design
2)draw a plan
3)explain the advantages of their idea
3. ask some students to read their articles to the class. the teacher and others should give comments.
an idea for a new library
my idea is to build a new library for our community. it will need one large room for the books and one for the employees to rest, have tea and eat their lunch in. it could be a place where people sit and relax and read some of the books if they want to.
this is how i think the library should be designed to let people see the largest number of books. there should be shelves all round the room for people to keep books and some free-standing shelves in the middle of the room to hold even more. these shelves should be divided into sections so that each book shelf holds a certain kind of book. for example, all history books should be organized by date so that people can easily find books they want.
my idea will help improve the education of students in our community. it will also give the adults an interest and keep their minds active.
i hope you will support my idea.
→step 7 homework
1. finish off the workbook exercises.
2. review the contents of the unit and complete summing up on page 16.
→step 1 revision
1. check the homework exercises.
2. ask students to dictate some new words, expressions and important sentences.