1. — excuse me, i want to buy a magazine, but i can’t find a bookstall.
— i know ______ nearby. come on, i’ll show you.
a. one b. it c. some d. that
2. when i got back home, i saw a message pinned to the door ______ “sorry to miss you. i will call later.”
a. read b. reads c. to read d. reading
3. his mother wanted to discourage him ______ this ordinary-looking girl.
a. to marry b. marry c. from marrying d. married
4. he felt guilty about losing, and bad about ______ football as you are.
a. being as gifted at b. being so gifted for
c. not being as gifted at d. not being so gifted for
5. i had a hard time ______ him to join us.
a. to persuade b. persuading c. in persuade d. on persuading
6. we are said to be living in ______ “information age”, ______ time of new discoveries and great changes.
a. the; a b. an; the c. /; a d. the; the
7. whatever he promises, you can’t ______ anything.
a. rely his doing b. depend his doing c. rely on him to do d. advise him to do
8. ______ the early bus, she went out without breakfast.
a. in order to catch b. catching c. caught d. having caught
9. ______ late again, her boss was very angry with her.
a. she was b. being c. her being d. she being
10. as these new products are not selling well, the members of the board have decided to ______ production.
a. cut away b. cut up c. cut down on d. cut off
11. bill was doing a lot of physical exercise to build up his ______.
a. ability b. force c. strength d. mind
12. the son promised to keep his parents ______ of how he was going on with his studies at college.
a. inform b. informing c. informed d. to inform
13. ______ there was danger ahead, the girl walked on.
a. known not b. not known c. knowing not d. not knowing
14. john insisted that the novel mr white referred to ______.
a. would be worth reading b. was worth reading