question 1 (can refer to p67 speaking task )
you are to choose eight things to put into your personal earthquake bag. what are they?
question 2 (the sign before an earthquake)
can you describe the pictures in pre-reading in details?
question 3 do you know anything about tangshan earthquake?
1. what happened before the earthquake.
2. the earthquake destroyed the city of tangshan and shocked the people.
3. the damages of the earthquake
4. the army came to help the survivors, bringing hope for a new life.
第三步：在详细阅读之前提示关于唐山大地震的背景：struck at 3.42am. on july 28, 1976；7.8 magnitude；epicenter was 11km below the city of tangshan；242419 people killed；economic damage of those buried in the rubble were rescued；injuries from the earthquake caused 2.200 people to become paraplegics.
1. why the title is a night the earth didnt sleep?
suggested answer: night is the time to sleep, and night should be safe and quiet. but that night everything changed. the writer use this title to show how terrible and how usual the night was.
2. what does the sentence“slowly, the city began to breathe again” mean?
suggested answer: the writer compare the city to a person who suffered a lot in the disaster. he felt her pain. so when people came to help her, he feel the city will not die, she has hope and she can recover from the pain.