module 6 the internet and telecommunications
listening and writing
1. students can understand the new words in the listening part either by explaining by themselves or by the teacher.
2. students can get the main information from the listening passage and finish off the related exercises properly.
3. students can write an argumentative essay about people’s opinions on using the internet for studies following the outline of such essays provided by the teacher, so as to form an objective and right attitude towards using the internet.
1. students can understand the new words and the listening passage with these new words.
2. students can form a right opinion on the use of the internet by discussing.
it’s not very easy for the students to put all their opinions in logic and write an argumentative essay showing opposite opinions and their own opinion.
teaching method: task-based, communicative, cooperative
teaching facilities: computer, projector
i. daily report: about the internet or other telecommunications.
t: what do you think of the internet? do you know your teachers’ and parents’ opinions?
ss: free talk.
iii. listening and vocabulary.
t: today, we’re going to listen to an interview. the interviewer will ask some people for their opinions on the internet. but, since there are some difficult words in the passage, we should first deal with the difficult words. look at the word in activity 1, try to find the words you know and try explaining them in your own words.
t: explain the rest that are not done by the students.
ss listen to the interview with the following questions:
1) how many people are being interviewed in the studio?
2) what do they concentrate on, good or bad things about the internet?
3) do they have the same or different opinions?
3. ss answer the questions.
4. ss listen once again and finish activity 2.
5. work in groups of four and discuss the questions in activity 3.
6. discussion: can students learn all they need on the internet instead of going to school?
ss show their opinions in groups and one member reports to the whole class.
(they should consider the following two points: the danger of using only the internet /the good of going to school ─ they should consider the importance of having a teacher, the importance of working together as a class and the danger of spending too much time looking at a computer.)