unit 4 earthquakes
the first period
learn and master the new words and expressions in this period.
1. train the students’ listening ability.
2. train the students’ listening ability.
3. train the students’ ability to use the internet to search for some useful information.
4. train the students’ ability to cooperate with others.
1. know the damage that an earthquake
2. know the ways to reduce the losses of an earthquake.
teaching important points
train the students’ speaking ability by describing, talking and discussion.
train the students’ listening ability.
t: do you know what happened in the indian ocean at the end of last year? it shocked or we can say frightened the whole world.
s: a terrible tsunami broke out there on 26th december. more than 200 000 people were killed.
t: yes. it is said that it is the biggest in the fore decades. a tsunami is an undersea earthquake. then have you heard of any land earthquakes? would you please list some?
s: we can often hear that earthquakes occur in japan. in 1906, an earthquake struck san francisco, usa. about 700 people died in the earthquake and the fires. and as many as 250 000 people lost homes.
t: but do you know any famous earthquakes that happened in our county?
s: the tangshan earthquake that happened in 1976.
t: can you tell me what mighty happen in an earthquake? you may look at the two pictures on page 25.
step 2 listening
t: before we learn the passage about an earthquake, let’s first know why there are earthquakes in the world. so let’s do some listening on page 62. listen to the tape for the first time and try to get a general idea of the passage.
listen to the tape and check the answers.( it is about the cause of earthquakes and how we can reduce losses from them.)
t: listen to the tape for the second time and judge whether the statements in part 1 are true of false.
t: let’s check the answers. listen again and try to correct the statements that are false.
t: listen again and try to complete the table in part 2.
a few minutes later, check the answers.
step 3 homework
1. preview the reading passage on page 26 and do exercise i in the part “learning about language”.
2. ask the to look for more ways of reducing losses from earthquakes. the students can go to the library or use the internet to search for information. after searching for the information, each group should make a poster, informing people how to reduce the losses of an earthquake.